I have a new obsession: smoked Haddock, I call it the poor man’s salmon 🙂
I can’t get enough of the flavor and I also can’t get enough of the budget friendly price. Food Lovers Market in Gaborone sells Haddock fillets for between 30 and 50 pula a pack depending on the weight. I bought one pack the first time, now I buy two a month. They taste best grilled with a minimal seasoning so they are also great for quick meals.
Because the smoked flavor is satisfactory for me, I never do much to it. It’s a great partner for heavily flavored starch dishes like curried potatoes or mexican rice or a cheesy creamy potato bake. I opted to go with the curry potatoes route in this instance. Recipe below:
- 2 smoked Haddock fillets
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- herbs of your choice
- powdered ginger
- 3 large potatoes/6 medium sized potatoes
- curry powder
- Hot spicy peach chutney sauce
- Drizzle the haddock with some lemon juice, season with spices & herbs and drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven dish and grill/bake for 20 minutes.
- Peel potatoes and chop into bite size cubes. Add 2 teaspoons of turmeric to boiling water and add potatoes.
- When potatoes are just about to be ready (don’t let them overcook), drain the water and add curry powder. Toss with some olive oil and place in a baking dish.
- Place under a grill for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes begin to get crispy.
- Serve with chutney drizzled on the potatoes or on the side.Simple and yummy!