Google helped me out with the recipe which I got from Homemade Ginger. I did also consider using a recipe from Running with Spoons but given the quantities of ingredients I had at the time, the former worked better. I was also tempted by the fact that the Homemade Ginger recipe uses way more banana and I wanted a strong flavor. I however think you can never have too much banana flavor so I added 1 more.
It is a really easy recipe to follow and doesn’t take long to make. I had tons of left over batter which I decided to make a small cake with. It tasted just as good!
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 3-4 large carrots)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 over ripe banana (although I used just ripe bananas and it still worked)
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with 2 tsp vinegar)
- Heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Mix the flour, soda, salt and cinnamon, set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and banana. Add in buttermilk and mix until incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients until mixed. Add in grated carrots.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 way full and bake for about 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. (makes about 24 cupcakes)