One random day I decided the words “cherry banana cake” sounded good, literally. I hadn’t seen it anywhere nor had I heard anyone mention it. Took to Google and as usual it had all the answers. I found a simple recipe on Food.com and got down to business.
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 mashed ripe bananas
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 cups pitted cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, suger.
- In a smaller bowl, mash the bananas.
- To the bananas, add the eggs, vanilla extract, milk and oil and mix. Combine cherries into the mix. Add some 2/3 drops of red food colouring if you wish.
- Add the wet mixture to the other dry ingredients in the large bowl and mix.
- Spray the baking tin with cooking spray (alternatively, grease tin with butter).
- Pour batter into baking tin and cook in a oven pre-heated to 375 degrees for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Turn cake onto a plate and allow to cool.
Sadly I left it in the oven a few minutes too long (I was distracted) and as a result the cake was a little dry. However ordinarily I don’t think this recipe produces a dry cake, I’d give it a second chance.
My only issue with this cake was the amount of cherries. I wonder why I ignored my instincts when shopping because my friend did express surprise at the quantity of cherries I bought. I decided I would still follow the recipe to the letter though and ended up with an extremely sweet cake! There were way too many cherries. I wonder if it is because I used glace cherries and not plain ones… Glace cherries are cherries that have been cooked in a thick sugary syrup hence the sweetness. Alas lesson learnt, next time I’ll reduce the quantity of cherries to one cup.
Aside from those two bloopers, it’s a decent cake and I will attempt it again and hopefully be more successful I will also add one more banana to it next time to increase that flavor. It’s lovely served with whipped cream or thick cream if you really want to treat yourself 🙂