I’m really not big on the healthy eating thing unfortunately though I do try at times so here’s my attempt : a mild spicy fresh pear cake. Lower in fat and cholesterol than most cakes. It’s also quite a different flavor since its also a spice cake. It has a lovely rich and thick texture, similar to that of a muffin. In fact you could use the same exact batter to make breakfast muffins.
The original recipe is from All Recipes.com as usual but I’ve tweaked it a little so below is my adjusted recipe.
- 4 cups peeled, cored and chopped pears (I just ended up using 8 medium sized pears)
- 1 and a half cups white/brown sugar
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup canola oil/olive oil/vegetable oil
- Half a cup of cream
- Combine the pears and the sugar and let stand for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease/spray a 10 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slightly beat the eggs and combine them with the oil and pear-sugar mixture.
- Stir the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon. Stir in the pear mixture and the cream. Pour batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven ant let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing form pan.