I love potatoes because they are so versatile. You can boil, fry, bake and mash them and incorporate lots of different flavors in them.
Yesterday I came across a recipe for German potatoe pancakes that I decided to try. They are very easy to make and don’t take much time either. Recipe below.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix in potatoes and onion.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In batches, drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the potato mixture into the skillet. Press to flatten. Cook about 3 minutes on each side, until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
I made a mistake at the frying stage though..I felt the required 1/4 cup oil was too little so added more…too much actually! As you can see from the picture above my potato pancakes were deep fried. I just don’t like having excess oil in my food so I was unhappy with how oily they ended up being. But that was my mistake because I didn’t follow the recipe. However they tasted great and I definitely will be making them often. I regret not adding garlic to the mix which would have made them taste awesome! Next time I’ll experiment with some spices so that they aren’t so plain and probably use less onion. They’re great with cheese or any kind of sauce too! I chose to melt a little cheese on them and eat them with a grilled pork chop and a simple salad.