Most of the time cooking for one (myself) tends to leave me uninspired so usually I opt for roasted chicken and potatoes and leave it at that. So when a friend offers to be my guinea pig I get excited and take the opportunity to try something different. My friend gets to take a break from cooking for a day while I get to frolic in the kitchen and everyone’s happy!
So for my buddy David I decided to make lemon chicken with mushroom sauce, pasta and mixed veggies. The recipe for lemon chicken was obtained from All Recipes (my favorite recipe site).
Baked Lemon Chicken with mushroom sauce
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Place the olive oil in an 8×8 glass baking dish. Place the chicken breasts in the dish, coating each side with oil. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over all. Slice the rest of the lemon and place a lemon slice on top of each chicken piece. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes until brown.
- In a large skillet, melt the 1/4 cup butter or margarine. Add the sliced mushrooms. Cook and stir until the mushrooms are brown and have exuded their juices, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with the flour and blend. Add the chicken broth, stirring to make a medium thick sauce. Allow to reduce, adjusting with a little more broth to make a creamy sauce. Add fresh parsley at the last minute. Spoon the sauce over the lemon baked chicken breasts. Delicious!
I altered the recipe slightly; I added a cup of cream and some diced cheddar cheese to the mushroom sauce, and since we did not have a glass dish for roasting , we used a tin foil lined roasting pan. I also seasoned the chicken with a few spices and herbs so that it wasn’t too plain. If you have time you can marinate the chicken in a lemon based marinade a few hours before baking.
As for the mixed veggies I didn’t follow a recipe, I just added what seemed to make sense. I did it as follows:
- Boil half a packet of frozen mixed veggies and set aside
- Put some cooking oil in a frying pan over medium heat
- fry chopped mushrooms, green pepper and chives
- add chopped tomatoes
- add boiled mixed veggies
- remove from heat and serve
As for the pasta, I kept it simple. Boiled it, drained it and sprinkled pasta seasoning on it. Below is the yummy meal:
The chicken was surprisingly tender and not dry so I will definitely be trying this recipe again. I’m a sucker for anything that involves lemons and herbs.
Tip: Replace the flour in the mushroom sauce with soup powder diluted in cold water to add some flavor.